Saturday, 9 January 2016

Bye-Bye Brushes, Hello Beauty Sponges


I’ve never jumped onto the ‘beauty blender’ bandwagon as it’s something that never grabbed my attention. After seeing the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge on Amazon for a day light robbery price, I decided to try it out and see what was so 'great' about applying your base with a damp, bright orange, egg-shaped makeup sponge.

I’ve never been one to use sponges for my makeup, I’m much happier using my RT brushes to apply my base so I was pretty skeptical to say the least. The sponge can be used damp or dry to apply and blend in your base products. It sort of feels like a stress ball – it’s very bouncy and firm. There are three sides to the sponge a round side for the whole face, a flat side for the larger areas and pointed tip for all nooks and crannies of your face. The shape is great and covers all bases.

Tapping it onto your face to blend can be a bit of a drag if I’m honest, it definitely takes longer to blend into skin rather than just slapping it on with a brush. BUT, the coverage and finish of it a lot better than using a brush and it doesn’t give that brush streak-free finish. I feel like it really gets the best coverage out of my foundation and concealer. I used my current favourite foundation, Nars Sheer Glow and I feel like the foundation sat better on my skin using the RT Sponge. Although it did give me a really full coverage look which could be a pro or con. Personally I don’t like too much full coverage but it’s great if you need/like that full coverage base.

A plus to this though is that you can really get the best out of your concealer. When I use a brush I never tap my concealer in, I tend to wipe it around my face so the coverage isn’t amazing. Whereas with the sponge you automatically tap it in and it gives amazing coverage. Covering up my late night bags and pesky, red blemishes. I’d much rather have a high coverage concealer to cover what I want rather than a high coverage foundation.

I have one small gripe with it and that is that it is such a pain to keep clean. I have lucky found a full-proof way to clean it but it’s still a faff as it soaks up product, which means you have to clean it regularly

It’s a win-win for me. Especially for concealer. I’ve been using this to apply my base products ever since I got it and I’m loving it. Bye-bye brushes, hello damp, orange egg-shaped make up sponge…

Do you use any beauty blender type sponges?

 LUCY 


SHARE:

24 comments

  1. This has kind of convinced me to try one of these out and use it with a concealer for a lighter base! :-)

    moremindfulyou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that all the time, it looks amazing!

      Delete
  2. The Miracle Complexion sponge is fantastic, isn't it! Started using it last Summer and I never looked back. The sponge plus some MAC Fix+ really makes the prettiest finish for foundation and concealer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I'm obsessed with it! Might have to pick up some Fix+ now you've mentioned that!

      Delete
  3. I need to try out my sponge again, they work so well!
    Maddy, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be a bit of work but so worth it! Definitely try it out again!

      Delete
  4. Yes I totally agree with you! NARS SG looks amazing with when blended in with a sponge, I don't love the finish of it with a brush but give me a damp sponge and I am a happy bunny!
    Iqra | The Blushing Giraffe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - in fact I didn't really like Nars SG when I got it a few months back but now I love it! Amazing how using a different tool can change your make up! x

      Delete
  5. I love my miracle completion sponge, don't know what I'd do without it now. It's amazing!

    rose mcnamee - rosemcnamee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I'd live without mine either!

      Delete
  6. I got the beauty blender for christmas and have only used it once and wasn't the best at it, I really need to give it another go


    Lauren x | www.laurenapowers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, it's a shame you didn't like it! Hopefully it works out better next time x

      Delete
  7. For me, it's pretty hard to use sponges, I'm still in favor of brushes! Haha, I think I'm old-fashioned :)
    Kisses,xx
    Nazlıgül | on my own way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel that's why I never jumped on the hype! I still love my brushes! x

      Delete
  8. I own this and I agree its best for concealer because it really helps to hide those dark under eye bags haha!

    Lucy | www.foreverseptemberr.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore beauty sponges, and while I had a few excellent foundation brushes I know that the most natural foundation will be applied using one of these sponges. It just looks like skin and I adore that effect! adaatude.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The way it makes my skin look is amazing!

      Delete
  10. I am obsessed with using beauty sponges - brushes just don't give as nice a finish! xx

    Gemma ♥ | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, none of my brushes can give such a flawless finish! xx

      Delete
  11. I have the beauty blender by Sephora and I'm not 100% satisfied. I love Real Techniques and their products are amazing so maybe this one would be a good replacement to my rubbish one!

    Mika | La French Connection

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never considered using a sponge before but I've seen lots of reviews saying that it gives a better finish than brushes do so I might have to try one! x

    http://emmaboughtwhat.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never really been into sponges because they don't seem as hygienic or easy to clean as brushes, but the hype must be worth something! I'd love to see a post comparing the swatches (brush v sponge), I think that would be so interesting! (:

    Angelina Is | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use this same sponge and it's really great. But I agree that it's annoying to clean... Another way you can use it is if you put your foundation with a brush like usual and then go in with the sponge and pat everything in. It just sets everything nicely.

    Samantha Series

    ReplyDelete

© Lucy Sprowell

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig