Thursday, 15 October 2015

The Beauty Ban

It was a struggle to think of the right title for this post because ‘The Beauty Ban’ sounds a little harsh and could mean a variety of things. But in this case it means I, Lucy, will not be buying beauty produts like a crazy lady. (Shout out to Iqra for the inspiration!)

Over the past few months I’ve become exactly what I hate, a spender *gasp*. I’m 100% a saver and I’m super stingy with my money but, over the past few months I’ve let myself go and just spend 80% of my money on all things beauty. I’m not complaining too much because my make-up collection is looking bomb right now but my bank balance is sobbing.

I get extremely anxious when I have no money. My brain just freaks out a little and over thinks everything that involves money. How are you going to pay the rent? How are you going buy food? How are you going pay for netflix? How are you going to live? Obviously I just have to wait till payday but in the moment it's not that simple.  When I checked my bank statement most of money came out at Boots, Feel Unique and Cult Beauty. So I’ve decided to ‘ban’ myself from buying so many beauty products.

To make it easier on myself I've decided that I'm allowed to buy two new products every month. Whether it be skincare, make up, tools or body care it can only be two things overall. I'm allowed to repurchase anything I already have. But the idea is that I use something up before buying something new or repurchasing it. I hope I haven't contradicted myself.

I'm going to try and stick to this. The only exceptions are Christmas (I'm not missing them beauty sales) and my birthday. As much as I do think it is nice to treat yo'self every once in a while, I do also think it's important to appreciate what you have and more importantly, use what you have. Expect a lot less hauls, and a lot more reviews, empties and favourites! Wish me luck on my way to becoming a responsible adult *sobs and throws away wishlist*. I'll keep you updated on twitter on how I cope. 


Have you ever had a spending ban? If yes, what was it on and how long did you last?

LUCY 
P.S. sorry for the rambley(is that a word?) post!
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I decided to do something similar because I have been spending soo much money lately! I decided that every time I finish up a skincare, hair or body product I can put 5£ to the side, and every time I finish a makeup product I can put 10£ to the side. Then at the end of each month I will take the money and spend it on beauty products :) that has been working pretty well for me! x

    alexandraabeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really great idea! I'm glad it's working out for you! x

      Delete
  2. If I put myself on a spending ban then I'll want to spend even more! x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's starting to feel that way already! x

      Delete
  3. I've tried going on a spending ban before. It definitely didn't last lol!
    xx
    Caked To The Nines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't blame you! This is going to be hard! xx

      Delete
  4. Awh I'm so glad you were inspired by me hun! <3
    I totally (obviously) relate to this, it just becomes such a habit to spend lots on makeup and suddenly you step back and see you have waaaay more than enough already haha. Tbh its a bit hard at first, when you think ahh I won't be buying any more but I 100% gets easier! Especially when you write down what you have and start planning posts around them ^_^
    Also I love your idea of 2 a month, that's a great thing to do and I think I'll borrow it when my 8 months are up! Defo have to give ourselves time off for xmas sales and birthdays though ofc!
    We can do it Lucy!! <3
    Iqra |The Blushing Giraffe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely comment Iqra!
      It really does, especially when you have a blog/read a ton of blogs because you want to try out everything! Yeah I've already started to look at my collection and plan posts! :)
      Definitely use it, I don't want to limit myself too much because I still love trying out new things!

      Yes we can! <3

      Delete
  5. Haha love this post Lucy! I don't have spending bans but I do try and use what I have and only stock up on skincare when they run out. I think more often then not when I read too many makeup posts, I do tend to want to buy more!

    Hanh / hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanh!
      Yeah that's what I need to start doing. After a while I'll accumulate loads of products that I don't really need/use. It's been working out pretty well so far though, trying out 2 things a month and repurchasing my favourites (when they are finished) has really helped cut things done and save some money!

      I agree with you on that, too many beauty posts are bad for me because it's just another thing added to the wishlist haha!

      Delete
  6. Ahhh this is exactly what I need to be doing lol. I think I might have to make mine a limited budget as opposed to number of products though, as I tend to grab a few sheet masks that cost a little less than $2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fair enough! Whatever helps you to save :)

      Delete

© Lucy Sprowell

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig